Infection Control for Healthcare Facilities
Construction and maintenance activities in hospitals, long-term care facilities and other health care facilities can release dust containing fungal spores, water aerosols containing Legionella bacteria and other contaminants which can cause adverse health effects to patients, including nosocomial infections.
PHH ARC's Infection Control Services relate to construction, renovation and maintenance activities in healthcare facilities, and are designed to ensure that work is conducted safely and in accordance with relevant standards.
Our team works closely with health agencies’ infection control personnel and contractors to ensure the exposure risk to patients and workers is minimized or eliminated during healthcare facility construction, maintenance and renovation activities.
PHH ARC provides training to contractors for safe work procedures, personal protection and contaminant control. We also provide on site services supervising work activities and carrying out continuous monitoring where required to verify the effectiveness of containment systems and work procedures.
Our Infection Control Services include:
- Developing project related specifications as per CSA and Health Canada recommendations to minimize patient infections during construction activities
- Designing contaminant containment and ventilation controls
- Managing construction activities and inspection of containment procedures
- Inspecting work procedures and collecting air samples prior to (baseline), during and after construction activities
- Providing daily inspection reports and a final close-out report
- Providing management programs to provide guidance regarding hospital maintenance and renovation activities which will minimize patient exposure to airborne contaminants
- Inspecting facilities and evaluating HVAC systems for potential Legionella and mould growth areas
- Collecting dust, mould and bacteria samples to evaluate the extent of their presence and the potential exposure risk to patients, workers and occupants
- Providing in-house presentations and training programs to health care facilities workers and contractors
PHH ARC Environmental provides the above infection control consulting services to assist health care facilities mitigate the risks of nosocomial infections during construction, renovation and demolition activities.